Elements of Evaluation:
Note on Papers: If you are taking this course in conjunction with Eng 450-550 (Literary Theory), consult with Dr. Schmidt so that you may select topics that allow the papers to be used for both courses.
(1) Three Short Papers on Poetry: Formal Analysis (1-2 pp.15 points), Explication (1.5-2 pp.20 points), and Comparison/Contrast (2-3 pp.25 points).
(2) Take-Home Examination: This will be worth 50 points.
(3) Haiku Assignment: Write two haiku and share with the class. This will be worth 15 points.
(4) Poetry Assignment: Write two different types of closed form poems (other than haiku), two open form poems, and one non-lyrical poem and share with the class. Students will be required to arrange an online appointment with the instructor OR take part in a poetry sharing to discuss their poetry. This will be worth 35 points, 25 for the poetry, 5 points for responses to other students, and 5 points for the sharing or debrief.
Verification Activity: This assignment also serves to verify or authenticate the work of online students. Online students will be expected to produce positive ID to the instructor at the time of the online appointment.
(5) Homework and Participation (on MyHeritage): Responses will be required on MyHeritage Forums for each chapter we read, as noted in the schedule. These will be worth 40 points total (35 + 5 for the Check-In Tasks).
(6) Bonus: An additional 5 points per poem may be earned by writing more closed form poems of types other than those for #3 and #4 above (maximum bonus = 10 points).
(7) Figuring Course Grades:
Check-In Test (1) + Tasks (4) 5 Participation/Reading Responses 35 Formal Analysis 15 Explication 20 Comparison/Contrast 25 Take-Home Examination 50 Haiku Assignment 15 Poetry Assignment 35 Possible Bonus (10)
Total Possible: 200 (196+ = A+; 184+ = A; 180+ = A-; 176+ = B+; 164+ = B; 160+ = B-; 156+ = C+; 144+ = C; 140+ = C-; 136+ = D+; 124+ = D; 120+ = D-; 119- = F)