Crucial Info for Spring 2023:
Instructor: Dr. Loren R. Schmidt
Telephone: (509) 865-8542 or Ext. 2112 (Work); (509) 307-0104 (Cell); (509) 574-8486 (Home)
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or (backup) email@example.com
Office: 2112 Simkins, Heritage University, 3240 Fort Rd., Toppenish, WA 98948
Prof. Schmidt's Virtual Office Hours on Zoom: Tentatively W 630-8 pm PDT/PST and F 130-3 pm PDT/PST or by appointment.
Prof. Schmidt's Physical Office Hours (available by phone or in person): F 130-3 pm PDT/PST or by appointment. Also on campus most TThF afternoons when not in meetings or class (if campus is open).
Time and Place for Classes:
Toppenish Section (Eng 435W.0 Classroom or Synchronous Online Students)
Class Sessions Available "Live" Online on these dates: 1/27-29, 2/24 if needed (Covering Unit I), and 4/14-15 (Units II/III, Presentations of Chapters and Field Research Projects; schedule yourself for ONE day. Friday sessions will be held on campus (if campus is open). Saturday sessions may be on campus if it is open. Sunday sessions will be online only. The current plan has all meetings simulcast online via Zoom and recorded. The sessions will be held live on Zoom unless otherwise notified. All sessions will be supplemented via the Internet with Class Forums on Heritage University Virtual Campus (AKA MyHeritage). Online students have the option of attending in person or live online whenever they wish.
Eng 435W.0 Asynchronous Online Students
1. The current plan has all meetings simulcast online via Zoom and recorded. All sessions will be supplemented via the Internet with Class Forums on Heritage University Virtual Campus (AKA MyHeritage). Online students have the option of attending live online whenever they wish.
2. Online students may drop into online office hours with any questions about the material. See above for Office Hours schedule.
3. Dr. Schmidt will cover the reading materials and answer questions in the initial "live" sessions. In the later sessions, students will present readings and their research. Asynchronous online students have recorded sessions, lecture outlines, and supplementary materials available on MyHeritage. They will have the option of presenting their Seminar Leader and Field Research presentations online by appointment with Dr. Schmidt (who will record and post those on MyHeritage) or recording and posting them on MyHeritage themselves.
4. SESSIONS FROM PREVIOUS TERMS ALREADY AVAILABLE IN BOOKMARKS.
5. Online students may TYPE instead of SPEAKING if they need to. Cheap headsets work just fine; webcam not required but is helpful.
Contact Instructor or HU IT Help Desk ASAP!
Primary Text: Christina Bratt Paulston and G. Richard Tucker, Sociolinguistics: The Essential Readings. Oxford: Blackwell, 2003.
Supplemental Text(s); Available in PDF form on MyHeritage course website.
Visit These Pages Now!
Course Description and Objectives
Grading: Elements of Evaluation
Schedule for Students in Toppenish or Online (15-Week Course)