Elements of Evaluation:
Note on Papers: If you are taking this course in conjunction with Eng 450-550 (Literary Theory), consult with Dr. Schmidt so that you may select topics that allow the papers to be used for both courses.
(1) Homework and Participation (on MyHeritage): Responses will be required on MyHeritage Forums for each weekly unit, as noted in the schedule. Some of these will be weighted more heavily than others. These will be worth 40% total (this includes the Check-In Tasks).
(2) Weekly Quizzes: Each unit has an online quiz attachd. See "Coursework" to start each quiz, including the Check-In Quiz that students should complete during the first week of class. Some of these will be weighted more heavily than others. These will be worth 10% altogether.
(3) Midterm Examination: This will be worth 10%.
(4) Critical Analysis. Students will either complete the Huckleberry Finn writing assignment OR two short critical analyses using different approaches to some of our readings. Students will be required to arrange an online or in-person appointment with Dr. Schmidt to discuss their paper(s). This will be worth 20%.
Verification Activity: This assignment also serves to verify or authenticate the work of online students. Online students will be expected to produce positive ID to the instructor at the time of the online appointment.
(5) Final Examination: This will be worth 20%.
(6) Figuring Course Grades:
Participation/Reading Responses (Forums) 40 Weekly Quizzes 10 Midterm Examination 10 Critical Paper(s) 20 Final Examination 20
Total Possible: 100 (98+ = A+; 92+ = A; 90+ = A-; 88+ = B+; 82+ = B; 80+ = B-; 78+ = C+; 72+ = C; 70+ = C-; 68+ = D+; 62+ = D; 60+ = D-; 59- = F)